Top 10 Tips
Welcome to our top 10 tips to successful letting
We'd like to share our knowledge and advice right from the start, to ensure you get the most out of your property rental.
- Always remember that property rental is a business – and like any business it’s crucial to do your research beforehand: identify your target market and match that to the property you buy; make sure it has the right features and is located in the right area to attract this market.
- Present your property well – decorate and furnish your property in a style that will appeal to your target market and not your personal taste: clean, neutral colours work best. Ensure bathrooms and kitchens are modern and in good condition. If the property has a garden, make sure that it is tidy and well tended. It’s also advisable to refresh properties between lettings, including carpet cleaning and touching up paintwork.
- Employ an expert you can count on: only use an ARLA registered agent who will ensure that all the correct documents are issued, including a good tenancy agreement which combines your rights as a landlord and the fair expectations of your tenant’s. The agent will also obtain credit checks, references and ensure all client money is protected.
- Ensure you are able to let your property: you will need to secure consent from your mortgage provider; and if you’re a leaseholder, seek permission from the freeholder/management company.
- Secure a deposit – and this should be is slightly more than one month’s rental. This will give you greater protection and compensation against damages and also encourage tenants to pay their final month’s rent. Please note that deposits must be protected by one of the Government-approved Deposit Protection Schemes.
- Have a thorough inventory and schedule of condition from the outset – enabling you and the tenant to agree upon the condition of the property, so minimising later disputes.
- Make sure your property is safe to let – which means checking that all your appliances meet fire and safety regulations.
- A boiler maintenance contract is a good idea, and many white goods have extended warranties, all of which can prove cheaper than emergency call out charges.
- Be prepared for void periods – set aside funds to cover you if things go wrong or the tenant leaves.
- In the case of problem tenants, take prompt action – if your tenant is not looking after your property or is behind with rent, consult a solicitor, investigate your options and take steps immediately.
Thanks for your and your colleagues efforts in relation to the above let. I couldn't believe how quickly Red Key found a tenant for my property - 1 working day has to be a record! Despite some delays with references, resulting in me feeling a bit jittery, I was very reassured by the answers Amanda gave to my queries. Thanks again. Gillian P
I thank you for giving me a lovely family as landlord .. They take very good care of me and I am also very happy to extend my tenancy with them for the next one more year at the same rent as agreed. I am very happy to have chosen your services as a letting agency . Thank you ...!! Nancy J
Wonderful service, with exceptional staff - Thank you for all your hard work. Mr & Mrs Smith
Thank you Red Key Lets for processing all the paperwork in time for me to move in at the weekend. The flat is fantastic and very comfortable! Gareth H
Refreshing to see an approach that puts customer service above all else. I will not hesitate to recommend you to others! David G
Just a little thank you for all your help over the last couple of weeks. I have received excellent customer service and will always recommend Red Key. Vicky G
Thank you Jamie for your professionalism, and the way in which your company dealt with the sad passing of Pauline P. My wife and brother-in-law much appreciated how simple and easy you made the handing over of the property. David M
I would like to say a big 'thank you' for all the great help from you. Thank you so much and sorry to have caused so much inconvenience for you. Could you also help to convey my thanks to Jamie and the team who gave me so much help? I would definitely recommend any of my friends/colleagues to rent their house through Red Key in the future. Heng Y
Just wanted to go on record and say thanks for all your help with Maes Y Ffynnon. A great result to get them acquired and rented out in such short notice! David J
We would always use Red Key Property Services to manage our property as the service is exceptional. Mr and Mrs Davis